The content and organisation of the programmes offered by the European higher education institutions vary greatly. Therefore, comparison of the attained academic qualifications in international context has prompted a number of questions and dilemmas, and answers have been provided thanks to the Europass Diploma Supplement.
What is the exact purpose of the Europass Diploma Supplement?
It provides the information on the results achieved at higher education institutions in a transparent and comparable way throughout Europe.
It is isued to the gradutes of higher education institutions. Its aim is to provide the additional information on acquired qualifications, particularly to employers and education institutions outside the issuing country.
It needs to be emphasised that the Diploma Supplement is issued by a higher education institution that issued the original diploma and that it neither replaces the original diploma nor guarantees its automatic recognition.
In short, the Europass Diploma Supplement:
- is enclosed to the diploma attained at a higher education institution;
- provides additional information on the acquired qualifications, knowledge and competences to the third party, particularly to employers and education institutions outside the issuing country;
- is provided by higher education institutions that issued the original diploma according to the template developed jointly by the European Commission, Council of Europe and UNESCO.
Although it neither replaces the original diploma nor guarantees its automatic recognition, this document facilitates assessment of the original diploma to the third party and provides a better insight into the acquired knowledge, competences and qualifications.
This document includes eight fields that need to be filled in for better assessment of your qualifications:
1. information on the holder of a document;
2. information on the education programme at a higher education institution;
3. information on the education level;
4. information on the course of study and success of its holder;
5. information on the opportunities referring to the next level of education and employment;
6. additional information;
7. a signature of an authorised person and seal;
8. information on the higher education system in a home country.
How can I obtain the Europass Diploma Supplement?
Higher education institutions in the Republic of Croatia issue a Diploma Supplement „both in Croatian and English, upon completion of the Bologna courses of study to all students without any fees. There are no limitations to issuing the Diploma Supplement in other languages under special conditions which are to be determined independently by a higher education institution.“ (source: The Diploma Supplement: Instructions, Rules and Examples; the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia, Zagreb, 2008).
It needs to be emphasised that the Europass logo does not appear on the Diploma Supplement issued by the Croatian institutions of higher education, which is the only difference between the Croatian version of this document and the original one developed within the Europass initiative by the European Commission, Council of Europe and UNESCO. It is expected that Croatian higher education institutions will get an opportunity to use the Europass logo on the Diploma Supplements issued in Croatia in due time.
If you wish to learn more on the Diploma Supplement issued by higher education institutions in the Republic of Croatia at present, read the publication of the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports entitled The Diploma Supplement: Instructions, Rules and Examples, available in Croatian here.
An example of the Europass Diploma Supplement
You can obtain the Europass Diploma Supplement free of charge.